Data processing methods
Data processing included the following steps:
- Inventory of data
- Statistical analysis, assessment, and validation of data;
- Construction of station distribution by grids, areas, and transects;
- Averaging of data to determine the climatic norm (standard pattern);
- Construction of vertical distribution of water temperature and salinity at the transects;
- Calculation of anomalies.
There were several types of data inventory:
- Construction of station distribution charts for each month by year;
- Construction of station distribution charts by month for the entire observation period;
- Construction of station distribution charts by month for the entire observation period for oceanographic transects (for the Barents Sea and the southern seas).
These materials are partially represented on the DVD in the INVENTORY section.
Statistical analysis was performed on the relevant data. Regularities of changes of annual climatic cycles of temperature and salinity were determined and limits of allowable values of the indicated parameters were set. If the measured value was outside the allowable limits, the data point was flagged. This flagged data point was not used when the climatic fields were calculated using time series of temperature and salinity